Elections & Voting
General Election - November 8th, 2022
The General Election ballots are being mailed out the Vermont Secretary of State's Office between the dates of 09/26/2022 and 09/30/2022. The General Election ballots are being mailed to all Active Registered Voters.
The Champlain Solid Waste District Bond Vote is a separate Local Election being administered on the same day as the November 8th General Election. These ballots are being mailed out 09/26/2022 by the Town Clerk’s Office. These ballots are only being mailed out by request. If you requested absentee ballots for 2022, you will be automatically mailed a ballot. If you have not requested ballots for 2022, and would like to be mailed a ballot, please visit https://mvp.vermont.gov/ or call the Clerk’s Office at 802-985-5116.
CWD Bond Vote
CWD’s bond vote passed this Tuesday by a vote of 1,193 to 124. The results can be found on the main page of CWD’s website in the News Flash section. Direct link: https://champlainwater.org/DocumentCenter/View/366/Tally-Sheet?bidId=
Redistricting for Voting:
We have new district numbers for our House Districts this staring in 2022: 6 and 7. District 5-1 became 6. And District 5-2 became 7. The issue of voting districts becomes important in state elections as it determines legislative representation. District maps are available in the town clerk’s office and below under Related Documents. To find your new district number please see this list:
2. What District am I in? This map allows you to search on a given address and will place a pin on the map and tell you what district that address is in. You can also click on a given parcel on the map, and it will display the address and the district.
Absentee Ballot Drop-off Locations:
- Shelburne Town Clerk’s Office We are staffing the office Monday through Friday (excluding holidays) from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The Clerk’s Office is closed at 2 p.m. the day before all Elections.
- Shelburne Police Dispatch in the same building on the ground floor located at 5420 Shelburne Rd, Shelburne, Vermont. Police Dispatch is open 24/7.
- Drive through option: Shelburne Secure Absentee Ballot Drop Box located at 5420 Shelburne Road straight off the north door of the Town Offices, near a light, and video surveillance camera. Thanks to the highway department for securing, it into the ground. And thank you to the Recreation Department for making the signs on the box.
- In Person Voting in the Shelburne Town Clerk's Office during early Voting Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Election Day from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. The Clerk’s Office is closed at 2:00 p.m. the day before all Elections.
- The Town Clerk’s Office is responsible for maintaining the voter registration list.
- There is no waiting period for establishing residency in Vermont.
- The law states that “residency” is defined by where the person is domiciled, as evidenced by intent to maintain a principal dwelling place in the town indefinitely and to return there if temporarily absent, coupled with an act or acts consistent with that intent.
- Voter registration forms are available at the Town Clerk’s office during regular business hours or at the police station 24/7. You may also register online.
- Individuals, who have never voted in Vermont, will need to take the Freeman’s Oath and you can administer it yourself.
- Same day voter registration as of January 1, 2017.