Assessing / Reappraisal


Clerk / Treasurer

Our Dog Friends



Parks & Recreation

Pierson Library

Planning & Zoning

Public Safety Departments

Public Works


Related Links
All Town Forms
Application for All Marriages in Vermont
Election Information
Getting Married in Vermont
N.E. Association of City and Town Clerk's Website
Our Dog Friends
Request for Absentee Ballot
Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
Vermont State Treasurer's Office
Voter Application Information

Colleen T. Haag, Town Clerk & Treasurer
Colleen T. Haag, Town Clerk & Treasurer


Town Clerk and Treasurer's Office

Office hours are 8:30 a.m. 5:00 p.m. Monday – Friday
5420 Shelburne Road  -  (physical location)
Mailing address:  PO Box 88
Shelburne, VT 05482-0088
*Document Recording (deeds, mortgages, liens, etc.)
*Motor Vehicle Registration
*Dog/Cat Licenses
*Marriage Licenses
*Fishing & Hunting Licenses
*Voter Registration
*Catering & Liquor Licenses
* Copy & Fax Services for public use
And much more…
The Office of the Town Clerk/Treasurer is responsible for the operation, preservation and administration of archival and other records within the Town as prescribed by law.  This includes land records, Selectboard, election and BCA (Board of Civil Authority) minutes as well as all vital records, grand lists and other mandated reports. The Town Clerk as the Presiding Officer is responsible for the administration and conduct of all town and general elections.

Colleen T. Haag
Town Clerk/Treasurer, 802.264.5036

Lisa C. Mann
Assistant Town Clerk, 802.264.5037
Sue L. Moraska
Assistant Town Clerk/Treasurer, 802.264.5039 

Topics Are Listed Alphabetically: 

Animal Licensing
Dogs and cats six month of age or older must be registered by April 1st, of each year. To register your dog or cat, either send in the latest rabies certificate (Town of Shelburne, PO Box 88) or bring it to our office.  For dogs & cats new to town please bring a certificate of spay/neutering. A licensing renewal card will be sent in February of each year. The cost for licensing is $11.00 for spayed/neutered dog or cat, $15 for un-neutered.  After April 1st a 50% additional fee is charged.  Click here for the Animal Ordinance.  Copies are also available in the Clerk's office.

Otis gets a treat from the Town Clerk, Colleen.
We serve all "residents" of Shelburne.  Click here to see more of our dog friends.



Burning Permits
Call Shelburne Police non-emergency number at 985.8051. 
Copying & Fax Services
We have a copy machine for public use. Copies are .05 cents per page.  Copies of deeds, mylars/surveys are $1.00 a page. You may contact us by fax at 802.985.9550. The public is welcome to use our fax machine at a cost of $1.00 per page.
Genealogical Information
The Town Clerk’s Office and the Pierson Library both have files on early Shelburne families that may be viewed by the public. In addition, the Pierson Library has the Chittenden County volume of the Vermont Gazateer, published in 1878 that details early citizens active in Chittenden County towns, as well as general information about each town in 1878.  We are unable to research most requests.  Please visit: The Vermont Historical Society at  (click on library and genealogy) and the Vermont Canadian Genealogical Society  
Green Mountain Passports
Are available for $2 to any Vermont resident 62 years of age or over and Veterans with disabilities.  Use your Green Mountain Passport for free admission to Vermont State Parks (overnight camping and other park fees are excluded), Vermont State Historic Sites, and events which are fully state sponsored.
Hiking/Biking/Walking Trails
Please visit: or stop by our office for a brochure.
Marriage Licensing
The Town Clerk’s office issues Civil Marriage licenses. The cost for a license is $45. If you would like a certified copy of your marriage certificate the cost is $10 per certified copy. An information sheet is available by clicking here.  A sample Marriage License is available by clicking here  or by stopping by our office.  Faxing your marriage worksheet ahead of your visit will expedite your processing time when obtaining your license in our office. The fax number is: 802.985.9550. 
Justices of the Peace Who Perform Marriages
Nancy Baker    985.8188                  Carroll (Bud) Ockert 985.9519                     
Jennifer Leopold 985.2728     Peter Gadhue 985.3460 
Thomas Little    985.2701    Chris Chiarello 985.8479
Rebecca Moore  985.8739     Laura Gannon-Murakami 985.0738   

David Webster 985.8790            

   Dennis Bowen 985.9754  
Gary Von Stange 985.5665      
Motor Vehicle Registration Renewal Processing
Our office can process RENEWALS ONLY for automobiles, motorcycles, motorboats, snowmobiles, etc.   You must bring in your registration renewal form with you and be less than 60 days past due. The application fee for the Department of Motor Vehicles must be made by check or money order, the Town Clerk’s fee is $3 (check or cash).
Notary  Services
Notaries are available at the Town Clerk’s office during office hours or the police station 24/7.  Please bring a valid ID with you. There is no charge for notarizing documents.
Our office is a Passport Application Acceptance Agency.  Our hours for processing passports are 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.   We take passport photos for a fee of $10.  For detailed information on passports books and cards, please go to:

Application for a U.S. Passport – You Will Need:
·        Proof of U.S.Citizenship:  Certified birth certificate or previous passport.  If you were born outside the U.S. please go to: for specific information.
·        Proof of Identity:  One of the following - valid drivers license, previous U.S. passport,  certificate of naturalization, certificate of citizenship, military id, federal, state, or municipal government employee id card or pass. 
·        Two recent color photos:  $10 for two photos taken in our office.
·        Fees – Two checks.  Passport fee $110 (if under 16 - $80) written out to the U.S. Department of State and a $25 execution fee written out to the Town of Shelburne.  
·        For a child under 16:  Both parents or the child’s legal guardian(s) must appear and present the following:  Evidence of the child’s U.S. citizenship, Evidence of the child’s relationship to parents/guardian(s), AND parental/guardian identification.  If only one parent appears a consent form must be completed. Each minor child applying for a passport must appear in person.
·        U.S. Passport Card:  May only be used for international travel by land or sea between the U.S., Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The cost for under 16  years of age is ($15 plus $25 processing fee unless purchased with a Passport book and then the cost would be $15) and is valid for 5 years. Over 16 years of age ($30 plus $25 processing fee unless purchased with a Passport book and then the cost would be $30) and is valid for 10 years.  For more information:
·        Passport Books and Cards may be purchased at the same time. Under 16 is $95 and over 16 is $140.  Plus an additional $25 execution fee.
·        Enhanced Driver’s Licenses for travel into Canada by land can be obtained in Burlington (7:45 a.m. to 4:00 p.m), Montpelier and Rutland Motor Vehicle Departments
Public Records
For information on public records click on the Vermont Secretary of State’s website at:
Taxes and Water/Sewer Bills
Property Taxes are due on March 15th, August 15th and Nov.15th unless it falls on a weekend or holiday and then it will be due the next business day. Water/Sewer bills are due quarterly.  For more information go to the Public Works Department or Finance Department.
Voting and Elections
·        Voting Districts
There are two voting districts in Shelburne 5-1 and 5-2.  The issue of voting districts becomes important in state elections as it determines legislative representation. District maps are available in the town clerk’s office.
·        Town Meeting (Informational only) and Floor Vote
The first Monday of March at 7:30 p.m. preceded by a dinner at 5:30 p.m. with legislators at the Community School (Harbor Rd & School Streets). 
·        Town Meeting and Australian (paper) Ballot Voting
The first Tuesday of March.  The Town, CVU and Elementary School budgets are voted on by Australian ballot. The polling place is in the Town Center Gymnasium (5420 Shelburne Road).  The polls are open from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. on election day. Election results will be posted on our website on election night.
·        Primary Elections: 4th Tuesday in August every 2 years.  
·        General Elections: 1st Tuesday in November every 2 years
·        Presidential Primary:  1st Tuesday in March every 4 years
·        Voter Registration
The Town Clerk’s Office is responsible for maintaining the voter registration list. There is no waiting period for establishing residency in Vermont.  The law states that “residency” is defined by where the person is domiciled, as evidenced by intent to maintain a principle dwelling place in the town indefinitely and to return there if temporarily absent, coupled with an act or acts consistent with that intent. Voter registration forms are available at the Town Clerk’s office during regular business hours or at the police station 24/7. Individual’s who have never voted in Vermont, will need to take the Freeman’s Oath and you can administer it yourself. You must bring a valid ID with you.  The deadline for registering to vote for any election is the Wednesday before the election at 5:00 p.m.
For more information, please call Colleen Haag, Town Clerk/Treasurer
Lisa C. Mann or Sue L. Moraska Assistant Town Clerks at 802.985.5116. We would love to hear from you!


Asst Town Clerk's Office
Asst Town Clerk's Office

Assistant Clerk's Office
Assistant Clerk's Office

Our Dog Friends

P.O. Box 88
5420 Shelburne Road
Shelburne, VT 05482
phone: 802-985-5110
fax: 802-985-9550

Home | Contacts | Departments | Events | Information | Search | Site Map | Services | Forms | Minutes